Stretching is a crucial part of building power and flexibility. It also aides in recovery of sporting injuries. Correct stretching before and after exercise helps to reduce the risk of injury whilst also increasing flexibility.
We spend so many hours a day sitting in front of a computer screen, or watching TV on the couch, that it’s important to take time out to realign your body by performing stretches. Stretching exercises help in improving blood circulation which in turns helps in improving strength and muscle agility.
Try these 5 easy stretches out once a day for a week and you’ll begin to feel more flexible as each day rolls around. Increase the stretches to 2 to 3 times per day once you get into a habit. For more stretches and professional exercise programs, visit the sports doctors at the #1 Geelong Medical Centre. They offer supervised exercise programs in their onsite gym to help reduce chronic pain as well as knee and back injuries.
In our last post, we talked about natural remedies for dandruff (you can check that our here), but what if you’ve got the opposite problem? An oily scalp? An oily scalp is the result of excessive oil secretion due to hormonal imbalances or other health issues. It is essential to reduce oily scalp before it is too late and damages hair. Our homemade hair packs are completely natural and help in reducing oily scalp problems in a short time.
Dandruff is super common but that doesn’t make it any less embarrassing and annoying to deal with and get rid of. There are many anti-dandruff products out on the market, but many include toxic ingredients like pyrithione zinc, which can cause eye irritations and skin problems along with hair loss, rashes and hives. These products often cause redness, itchiness and irritation which can cause a disruption of the endocrine, cardiovascular and reproductive system.
Disturbing – isn’t it? Here at Home, Health, Beauty and Beyond, we’re all about natural remedies and cures and we’ve come up with a great list of store-bought alternatives for the treatment of dandruff. Not only are these all natural, but they are super affordable and you’ve probably got at least half of this list in your bathroom and kitchen cabinets already! Let’s get on with ti!
1) Tea Tree Oil
This is an essential oil which is created by steam distilling the leaves of a specific plant which is grown here in Australia. This tree oil is known for its effectiveness in reducing bacteria. This oil is helpful in battling fungus and bacteria which helps in tackling dandruff but doesn’t dry the scalp. This oil also helps in killing bacteria which is generally caused due to overproduction of the skin cells. This often leads to the formation of dandruff. As this tea tree oil is applied on scalp, it slowly seeps in the hair follicles; it slowly works to unclog them and removes all kinds of microorganisms which are known to cause an irritation. A study reveals that tea tree oil helps in reducing the severity of dandruff as much as by 5%.
You need 10 drops of the oil for 8 ounces of your shampoo. You can use it to wash your hair normally. Let it sit on the scalp for ten minutes, so that the benefits of the oil are soaked up.
You can also prepare one overnight effective medicine with the oil. You will need one small empty bottle, which is ¾ filled with almond oil. In this oil add at least 15 drops of organic tree oil and mix it well. You can apply the oil on your scalp and massage for 3-4 minutes. This will ensure that your scalp is well saturated. You can place a shower cap on your hair so that your pillowcase isn’t stained. You can wash the hair the next morning
Are you having trouble breathing in your own home? Do you feel suffocated? Is it damp inside your home? As we’re now in Spring here in Australia, it’s a perfect time to get rid of the winter cobwebs around your home that could be making it difficult to breathe easy. Thinks like dust, damp, mildew and even the type of cleaning products you use can all have an effect on your breathing. Check out our top 5 tips on how breathe easier in your own home.
1) Use A Dehumidifier If your home has been left damp after winter, using a dehumidifier will help in reducing the moisture levels in your home. This will make it easier to breathe. With lesser moisture in the air, your home will be less welcoming to different allergens like mould, mildew, dust mites and other allergens.
2) Ensure Your HVAC Maintenance Is Up To Date Did you know you should have your air conditioning unit serviced every year? Many times air conditioners are not serviced on time and they often stop working as expected. Air conditioning Geelong provide annual servicing which ensures your unit is performing optimally, not only for your health but also your electricity bill. Make sure you’re getting your home’s heating and cooling units serviced at regular intervals of time.
Coconut is highly beneficial for our health. Coconut water has amazing health benefits, coconut oil is used for cooking, in the preparation of hair and face packs and also as coconut water can be used as a beverage too. This is a healthy, low-calorie beverage, which is rich in several nutrients like amino acids, vitamin C, magnesium, zinc and potassium.
1) Keeps The Body Rehydrated: Coconut water helps in quenching thirst and helps to keep the body hydrated. It is a rich source of carbohydrate and other minerals which helps in lifting energy levels of the body.
2) Makes An Awesome Hair Pack: This is a great one for the man in your life who refuses to give normal hair treatments a go. Coconut oil is a great hair nourishing agent. It helps to soften hair strands, makes hair more manageable and helps to reduce hair-fall. It also assures hair-growth. To need to warm some coconut oil, add one egg and whisk it well. Apply this pack on your hair and massage gently. Leave the pack for ten minutes. You can later rinse your hair with normal water. Your hair stays healthy and nourished.
Tired eyes are quite common these days, when we spend hours staring at mobile screens, computers or reading in low light. Poor sleep patterns and too much exposure to bright light are also good reasons for tired eyes. You can get relief from tired eyes problems with a few easy DIY solutions. The symptoms tend to disappear in a short time.
1) Splash Cold Water – This is one of the best ways to get instant relief from tired eyes. Simply splash cold water on your
face, around the eye area whenever you feel too tired. You’ll notice instant relief and fee much more awake than before.
2) Palming – Palming helps in relaxing tired and strained eyes. If you spend long hours in front of digital screens, palming will offer you quick relief. Warm your hands by simply rubbing them. As your hands warm up, you can place them on your eyes. Relax and keep your eyes covered for 10 seconds. Do this 3-4 times in a day.
3)Massage – To reduce the problems of tired eyes, you can slowly massage your eyelids everyday. You can use your fingers to massage gently, just below the eyebrows. You can massage for 10 seconds as you start. Massage thrice a day will see relief in your tired eyes.
4)Use Cucumber – Slice three or four round pieces of cucumber. Refrigerate the cucumber. You can then place a cool round slice on each of your eyes. Keep your eyes closed and sit back and relax for 10 minutes.
5)Warm Compress – Dip a washcloth in warm water. Let it remain in the water for 10 seconds. Squeeze out the excess water from the cloth and apply the warm cloth on your eyes. Let it remain for ten minutes. You will get relief from tired eyes in a short time.
6)Sunning – This is another easy way to reduce tired eyes. Stand under the sun in the morning. Keep your eyes closed and let the sunlight soak on the eyelids. You will feel relaxed and warmth in the eyes. Move the eyes down and up, left and right. You can do this for 5 minutes in a day.
7)Splash Rose Water – Rose water has a great therapeutic value. It improves blood circulation and offers great comfort to the eyes. Splash rose water on your eyes on a regular basis if you suffer from tired eyes problem on a regular basis.
Let us know your top tips for tired eyes in the comments below. We’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Tartar is solidified plaque which, left untreated can be extremely harmful to teeth and gums. It can lead to tooth decay and other several painful conditions. If tartar is something that’s bothering you, try out these natural home remedies before your tartar gets any worse.
1) Baking Soda You need to put a small quantity of baking soda on your damp toothbrush. Brush your teeth using it. You can later rinse your mouth using lukewarm water. Use this daily to remove plaque.
2) Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is quite effective in treating tartar and other gum problems. You need to extract aloe vera pulp for this. Rub this on your teeth and let it remain for ten minutes. Rinse it away using cold water. Use this twice in a day.
3) Black Tea
In a cup of hot water, you need to steep one bag of tea. Steep it for 4 minutes at least. You need to squeeze the bag in water so that most of the fluoride is removed. Let the tea cool. You can then use it to rinse your mouth. You need to do this everyday which will remove tartar.
You need a teaspoon of powdered cloves and a few drops of olive oil. Mix and apply this on your teeth. Leave it for two minutes and you can rinse off with lukewarm water. You can do this twice a day.
These homemade hand and foot lotions are easy to make and effective in tackling a number of hand and foot issues. They keep the skin soft, hydrated and moisturised, and you can find almost all of the ingredients in your kitchen pantry or fridge. These lotions can be applied daily, prepared in a short amount of time, and can be used throughout the year whenever your hands and feet are feeling dry or need a boost of hydration.
1) Buttermilk Lotion Buttermilk is rich in a number of vitamins and minerals which keeps the skin hydrated and soft. It keeps the skin moisturised and reduces chapped skin problems in winter. To prepare the pack, you need 5-6 tablespoons of buttermilk. Add one teaspoon of olive oil. Give the mixture a good stir. You can now apply the lotion on your hand and foot.
2) Milk Cream Lotion
This is a rich lotion, filled with the richness of milk proteins. You need milk cream as per requirements. Add some milk to prepare a smooth consistency, which will be a little runny in nature. Add one teaspoon of sandalwood oil for additional fragrance and nourishment. Mix and apply the lotion. You can use this lotion daily for soft hands and feet.
Suffering from asthma? A few diet tips or changes in what you eat can actually help in improving your condition. Though, there is no conclusive proof of the fact that a certain diet plan can help in reducing the frequency or the severity of asthma attack, some diet tips will help in improving your overall health condition.
Have Vitamin D Rich Foods: Increasing the intake of vitamin D might help in reducing asthma attacks. Include foods such as orange juice, eggs, salmon and milk, which are all rich in vitamin D.
Homemade cleaning products are cost effective, easy to make, environmentally friendly, and are suitable for a number of household cleaning purposes. The cleaning products below are made using ingredients you can find around home.
1) Vinegar Cleaner
This is an excellent product for cleaning windows, mirrors, doors or any shiny surface. You need two cups of water and half a cup of apple cider vinegar. Add a few drops of essential oil for a great fragrance. Mix well and store the cleaner in a spray bottle. You can use it by first spraying on any soft cloth or a paper towel and then rub it on any surface.
2) Alcohol Cleaner
Alcohol is a great cleaning product. It is highly effective as an evaporating cleaner. It can be used to clean glass windows, mirrors, chrome furniture, tabletops and kitchen counter. In a bowl you will need one cup of alcohol. Add a few drops of lemon juice to increase its effectiveness. Use a sponge or cloth to dip into this product and clean different surfaces.
3) Lime Cleaner
Lime is a great stain buster, especially on surfaces like steel or ceramic. You need one cup of warm water and drop in 10-12 drops of lime juice. Lemon is acidic nature which works as a great cleansing agent. Mix warm water and lime. Use a sponge or a scrub to rub any dirty utensil or surface. It will be clean in a short time.